October 4, 2011

Warsaw Uprising 1944: October 4 NOT YET IS POLAND LOST!!!

It has been 63 days of long and bitter struggle for the Polish people, days marked by despair and hope, pain and suffering and constant battle against a hated enemy. It has all come to an end. Early this morning Polish regiments congregated near the Technical University in Warsaw in preparation for a "trial surrender". Barricades that had been there before had been "symbolically" removed yesterday. The Company commander issued his final orders and gave his last speech as the soldiers listened intently, and then at the end, they sang the national anthem, "Not Yet Is Poland Lost ". Their voices rang out across the square with such power - clearly indicating that while the Polish people have surrendered they have not by any means been defeated. Finally at the command of "Attention" the soldiers burst into cheers and shouts of "Long live our beloved Polish Republic"!!! 

General and Commander-in-Chief of the Home Army Tadeusz Komorowski “Bor” signed the last cable to the Polish Government in exile in London, which will be dispatched tomorrow morning.  General Bor and General von dem Bach met each other today and despite the conclusion of negotiations, General von dem Bach continued to pressure Bor for additional concessions. He demanded that General Bor issue an order to all regiments of the AK, in addition to those located outside Warsaw, to "cease underground activities against German forces".  Moreover he insisted that Polish Communist insurgents be excluded from the protection of the Geneva Convention in regard to treatment of prisoners of war.  In both cases, General Bor adamantly refused to comply.

General Bor surrenders to General von dem Bach Zelewski

Left: General Tadeusz Komorowski "Bor"

At 9:00 am the first Home Army units to leave Warsaw was the 21st Infantry Regiment under the command of Lt. Col. Stanlislaw Kaminski "Daniel". They were among the troops that fought so bravely in Srodmiescie South. They marched along Sniadeckich, 6-go Sierpnia, Such and Filtrowa Streets and were closely followed by other companies, marching four abreast.

Among them were old and young men as well as women, each clad in spruced up uniforms or civvies and immaculately groomed. Each wore the white and red armbands of the AK, or the Polish eagle on their caps. Many wore military decorations pinned to their lapels, and many sported their weapons which were meticulously cleaned and gleaming.

German officers and soldiers lined each side of the street. In a most unexpected gesture, they lowered their weapons and watched the retreat in silence. A few German soldiers saluted as a show of respect.

The rest of the regiments will be leaving Warsaw tomorrow morning and according to the Capitulation Act they will surrender their armaments and ammunition.  Soldiers of the 21st and 72nd infantry regiments of the Home Army have already deposited their guns and ammunition on the corner of Wspolna and Marszalkowska Street; the 36th infantry regiment in Napoleona Square, and the 15th infantry regiment in Grzybowski Square.

While the Polish regiments were preparing for surrender, SS officer Bronislav Kaminski was court-martialled today by the German military court. He and his entire staff were sentenced to death and shot by a German firing squad. The event was reported by German Command, however in an effort to avoid reprisals from the men of SS STRONA the Germans stated that Kaminski was assassinated by the Polish Armia Krajowa. Kaminski was the notorious commander of the SS Sturmbrigade RONA which participated with the SS Dirlewanger and SS Reinfarth in the bloody massacres at Wola and Ochota in early August. In just a few days they slaughtered 40,000 to 100,000 Polish men, women, and children. It was one of the bloodiest of massacres during the war.

Warsaws' underground newspapers published and distributed their last issues today: Dziennik Radiowy, Robotnik, Wiadomości Powstańcze and No. 102 of the Biuletyn Informacyjny. Polish underground radio aired their last broadcasts today, including the famous "Blyskawica" radio station. Jan Georgica Grzegorzewicz" took the microphone at Blyskawica today mentioning only the technical parameters of the station, and its working conditions. At 7:30 pm Jan broadcast the Warszawianka song in farewell, and at the end destroyed the transmitter with a hammer.

No comments:

Post a Comment