The Rector of Warsaw Polytechnic ordered the establishment of the institution of Ghetto Benches in the lecture halls. The practice began in 1935 and became widespread by 1937. Jewish students attending Polish universities were forced, under threat of expulsion, to sit at the left-hand side section of the lecture halls which were segregated from the rest of the student body. The majority of Jewish students protested these policies and refused to comply as it violated their civil rights. Some Polish students showed their support of their Jewish classmates by standing in class instead of sitting down. At some universities, Polish students even attempted to forcibly move Jews to the ghetto benches.