Polish troops of the Independent Operational Group Silesia carried out the annexation of Zaolzie, Czechoslovakia ( from October 2 to 11, 1938.) The Group was established after the Munich Agreement, signed on September 30, 1938, in which the Allies acquiesed to Hitler's demand for the annexation of the Sudetenland. The Czechoslovakian government finally yielded to pressure from the Polish government. The Operational Group was established in September of 1938, numbering over 35,000 Polish officers and soldiers, among several army units and five squadrons, under the command of General Władysław Bortnowski. The Group was disbanded in December of the same year. The Zaolzie region was created in 1920, when Cieszyn Silesia was divided between Czechoslovakia and Poland, in an attempt to resolve their border dispute. Zaolzie formed the eastern part of the Czech portion of Cieszyn Silesia. Despite this division, the conflicts persisted until annexation. But after the German invasion of Poland in September 1939, the area was incorporated into Nazi German control. After the war ended, the 1920 borders were restored.
The Battle of Hel ended on October 2, 1939 when Polish forces capitulated. From September 9, 1939, about 2,800 Polish soldiers of the Fortified Region Hel unit, and part of the Coastal Defence Group, fought overwhelming German forces. Polish forces included three coastal anti-ship batteries consisting of one 4 × 152 mm battery, two older 2 × 105 mm batteries and three batteries with 8 × 75 mm guns in total. The Poles also had anti-air batteries consisting of 6 × 75 mm and 8 × 40 mm guns, and two 120 cm searchlights. In total they had 46 guns, 1 destroyer, 1 minelayer, and 1 patrol boat. Facing them were about 38,000 German forces, 2 pre-dreadnoughts, and 2 destroyers. Despite the overwhelming numbers of the enemy, Polish forces launched counterattacks relentlessly. On September 3, the Polish destroyer Wicher, and minelayer Gryf succeeded in damaging two German destroyers by gunfire. But the Luftwaffe attacked and sank both Polish ships. By September 14, the Germans had cut off Polish forces from the mainland. Polish defences managed to stall the German advance only temporarily. With reinforcements of land artillery batteries and an armored train battery, the Germans continued their advance, albeit slowly, amid fierce counterattacks from Polish forces. On September 25, after the Germans captured the village of Chałupy, Polish military engineers detonated a number of torpedoes in the narrowest part of the peninsula. By October 1, the Polish forces were running out of supplies, and stranded without any relief forces, were under orders by Jozef Unrug, the commander of the Polish Navy, to capitulate.
Warsaw Uprising: Polish Fighters Surrendered their Weapons on October 2, 1944. The next day the Germans began to disarm the Home Army soldiers. They later sent 15,000 of them to POW camps in various parts of Germany. Meanwhile, about 5,000 to 6,000 Polish resistance fighters tried to blend into the civilian population hoping to continue the fight later. The entire civilian population of Warsaw was expelled from the city and sent to a transit camp Durchgangslager 121 in Pruszków. Out of 350,000–550,000 civilians who passed through the camp, 90,000 were sent to forced labour camps in the Third Reich, 60,000 were transported to death and concentration camps (including at Ravensbrück, Auschwitz, and Mauthausen, among others), while the rest were transported to various locations in the General Government. Polish casualties were 15,200 killed and missing, 5,000 WIA, and 15,000 POWs. German casualties were 16,000 killed and missing, 9,000 WIA, 310 tanks and armoured vehicles, 340 trucks and cars, 22 artillery pieces, 4 rocket launchers, and 3 aircraft.